There were two blueberry muffins in the oven.
One says, “Man, its HOT in here!”
There other one says, “WHOA it’s a talking muffin!”
When we were both eleven, my friend, Whitney, and I used to tell each other this joke and then proceed to fall on the floor in laughter until our sides hurt. We were silly ones…
Anyways, back to these muffins. My mom brought me a batch of these when she visited, last weekend. They were so good, that I just HAD to re-create them to share with you all.
AND for my health nuts – they are chock full of good stuff! Whole-wheat flour, molasses, olive oil, and fresh fruit! Even I could not believe the list of ingredients, after tasting these rich, moist, and delicious cuties.
Recipe: Mama’s Blueberry Muffins
Summary: Scrumptious, super-moist, nutritious
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup yogurt or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup oil (Canola or olive)
- 1/4 cup applesauce.
- 1 cup molasses (or 1/2 molasses, 1/2 honey)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg **You can replace the egg with 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Sift ingredients to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, applesauce, molasses, vanilla, and egg. Mix well with a spoon.
- Gradually add some of the buttermilk/yogurt into the molasses mixture.
- Mix in about 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the molasses mixture.
- Alternate between adding the buttermilk/yogurt and flour mixture into the molasses bowl, until everything is combined. Be sure to not over-mix, or you will get some tough muffins.
- Gently fold in fresh blueberries.
- Line muffin cups into a muffin pan.
- Carefully fill each muffin cup 3/4 of the way full (fuller than you think!)
- Bake in the oven for approximately 22 minutes, or until they pass the toothpick test.
- Enjoy warm.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 22 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): approximately 20 muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana Pumpkin Bread
- Love at First Bite