Perfect for that sticky situation. My last night in California, I had all my buds over for a little good-bye. We sat around the table playing Scattegories and munching on these yummy treats.
Definitely brought some extra sweetness to a bittersweet moment.
Recipe: Sticky Caramel Apples
Summary: Super simple, delicious, and a great way to get hands on and creative!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- Dash salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 to 12 popsicle sticks
- 10 to 12 apples, washed and dried (I prefer green apples because they are more tart)
- Toppings of your choice! Chopped peanuts, crushed graham crackers, mini chocolate chips, melted white chocolate, marshmallows, crushed candy bars…the list goes on!
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over a flame. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until this mixture comes to a boil (about 10-12 minutes).
- Add condensed milk. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248°. (When I don’t have a candy thermometer with me, I do my best to pay careful attention to the mixture, making sure it does not burn. However, if you have a thermometer, it is much easier!)
- Remove sauce from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- After washing and drying the apples, insert Popsicle sticks into the top of the apples.
- Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture; turn to coat.
- Dip bottom of apples into peanuts, graham cracker crumbles, chocolate chips, etc.
- Place on greased waxed paper until set.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
- Yogi Cupcakes
- Whole Wheat Banana Pumpkin Bread