Recipe: Spicy Gingerbread Biscotti
Summary: Sweet and snappy, spicy, nutty, mmm I love everything about those warm flavors together. In fact, when I think of holidays, the aroma of gingerbread is the first thing that pops into my nose. So cheers to gingerbread, cheers to the holidays, cheers to home! Recipe adapted from the New York Times.
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or Canola)
- 1 cup pecans toasted and chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine whole-wheat pastry flour, almond flour, baking powder, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, combine together sugar, molasses, and oil. Slowly add the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- In gradual increments, at your flour mixture to the wet mixture, until all is well combined.
- Stir in toasted pecans. Batter should be rather stiff.
- On a well-floured surface, knead the cookie dough and divide in half. Roll out each piece into a log-like shape, measuring approximately 12 inches x 2 inches.
- Place both logs onto your cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins at 350 degrees F, or until the logs are lightly browned at the edges.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice each log diagonally into small pieces. Now it starts to look like biscotti!
- Place each cookie face up, back onto the cookie sheet for a second round of toasting.
- Bake in the oven at 300 degrees F for 7-10 minutes on each side, or until your biscotti are nice and crunchy.
- Make a cuppa chai and dip!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
- Tis the season: Holiday Bark