A RED cupcake.
Whoever thought of the idea is GENIUS…so bright, so enticing, the color just POPS!
I have actually never made Red Velvet Cupcakes…believe it or not! So as you can all imagine, I jumped at the opportunity to make my cousin something EXTRA SPECIAL for passing his extensive 2 hour piano exam!
He deserves a cupcake in my book.
“So…what makes cupcakes red?” asked my cousin, super puzzled.
Check out my recipe below to find out!!
And as always, enjoy my photos!
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 oz (1 box) red food coloring
- 1¼ cups vegetable oil
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chunks
- 16 oz cream cheese (2 packages)
- ½ cup butter
- 2¾ cups powdered sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your cupcake pan with muffin tins (this recipe makes 24 cupcakes)
- In a bowl, combine the following ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder. Sift and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, combine sugar, oil, eggs (one at a time), vanilla, and red food coloring.
- Add ⅓ of your dry ingredients into the red sugar mixture. Mix well. Add ½ of your buttermilk to the red sugar mixture. Mix well. Alternate adding the dry mixture and the buttermilk to the red sugar mixture, ending with the dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and the baking soda. Let it fizz for a minute and then add it to your red mixture.
- Your batter should be a beautiful red color and medium consistency.
- Add in the chocolate chunks, stirring by hand.
- Fill your muffin tins ½ to ¾ of the way full with your red batter. Some easy ways to do this are to use a mini ice cream scoop or to put some of the batter into a measuring cup and pour into the muffin cups.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until the cupcakes pass the toothpick test.
- Let them cool completely before icing them.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer cream the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and lemon juice. Mix well until the icing is light and fluffy.
- Decadent, Dairy Free Chocolate Torte
- Dangerously Delicious Double Chocolate Chip Cookies