I got this recipe from the Joy of Baking website.
Author: Joy of Baking
Recipe type: Dessert
Classic, comforting shortbread cookie.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks)unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup powdered (confectioners or icing) sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl whisk the flour with the salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute).
- Add the sugar and beat until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated.
- Flatten the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill the dough for at least an hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough into a ¼ inch thick circle.
- Cut into rounds or other shapes using a lightly floured cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. (This will firm up the dough so the cookies will maintain their shape when baked.)
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until cookies are very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
For the chocolate, I just melted down some of my favorite semi-sweet chocolate (Hershey Special Dark works well), and then dipped, sprinkled, and refrigerated!
- Ina Garten’s ‘Beatty’s Chocolate Cake’
- Decadent, Dairy Free Chocolate Torte