JUNE – my favorite month of the year, here and gone in a flash as usual.
FOR SOME REASON, June is always this extremely crazy-fun, exciting, beautiful month for me. It is also the month in which I was born. Last year, in June, I found out I had a job offer in NY, the June before that, I was on a trip to India, the June before that, I don’t really remember…Hm.
Anyways this June, has lived up to its name. Just when I had made peace with my life as it is, and stopped for some things to change in my life, they decided to happen, all at the same time. Lucky me. ,
Suddenly, I was moving forward in my yoga practice, physically and mentally.
Suddenly, I was getting scheduled to teach every day at my yoga studio, a dream come true.
Suddenly, I was being social every weekend…what happened to the days when I would sit at home, drinking chocolate milk and watch Food Network?
Suddenly, I had more time to meditate.
Suddenly, my boss called and said “Sonia, I have a plan. Book your flight to Istanbul this weekend.” I was like…um okay boss….OKAY! So I guess I was going to Istanbul in 3 days. WHAT? YEEE! Craziness.
Haha, I remember telling my dad, “I’m so stressed and overwhelmed by all the good things happening right now!!” I really had nothing to complain about, as this is the life that was being given to me today – just had to close my eyes, breathe, and embrace it lovingly.
But you remember that cliché saying that goes something like…”As soon as you stop looking, you will find it”? Yup, truth.
So as I re-organized my life around these changes, I thought celebration would be fun. A SANGRIA celebration. Plan was…make sangria on Friday, let it marinate and soak and marry flavors together, then drink it Saturday as I packed for my trip.
THAT NEVER HAPPENED. Friends came over, we talked, we laughed, we drank, we cheers’d, we drank and cheers’d some more. It was just TOO GOOD to save. This delicious summer-time drink got rave reviews and finished in a flash. What a fun night!
Summary: Fruity and delicious, brings summer-time cheer!
- 2-3 bottles of red wine – I used TJ’s Box Red Wine, as it is perfect for making a large batch of sangria, but any red wine will do
- 2 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 2 limes
- 1 cup frozen/fresh raspberries
- 1 cup frozen/fresh pineapple
- Canned peaches – I used TJ’s canned peaches in white grape juice
- 3 cups your favorite citrus soda – I used TJ’s Villa Italia Blood Orange soda (delicious stuff)
- Slice oranges, lemons, and limes.
- In a large pitcher (we used a huge bucket!), combine oranges, lemons, limes, raspberries and pineapples. You can always add more/less fruit, depending on your taste preferences.
- Add canned peaches, citrus soda, and last but not least, the red wine!
- Cover and let sit and soak in the sun for a few hours, or overnight.
- Serve chilled over ice and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
The greatest thing about Sangria, is that you can really have fun with your ingredients. Play around with this recipe by adding your favorite fruits – Apples, grapes, cherries, strawberries, the list goes on…Cheers!
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
- Ahimsa Baby
- burnt caramel meets chocolate chippers